Home Staging Tips for Pet Owners
Not everyone is a pet lover and some folks have allergies that prevent them from having a beloved cat or dog. Don’t let your love for pets become a deterrent to selling your home.
Follow these tips to help your home shine to even the grumpiest animal hater.
- Scrub those pet stains on the carpets and rugs until totally gone or replace them if necessary. Try cleaning formulas made especially for pet odors.
- Pet odors soak into your best friend’s favorite things. Completely remove pet beds (or Fido’s most-loved couch), blankets, toys, play structures, food bowls, and the like.
- Use air fresheners that eliminate odors, rather than simply mask them. There’s nothing worse than the smell of artificial pine with kitty litter undertones.
- Repair or remove any furniture that’s been scratched or gnawed on.
- Clean all pet “presents” from the yard.(Have 2 people do a poop sweep!)
- Keep cat boxes immaculate and hidden away, or — better yet — see how your feline-loving friends feel about a temporary houseguest and remove litter boxes altogether.
- Remove any dog or cat doors. Pets? What pets? If you can’t remove them, give the flaps a good scrubbing. They can get really nasty and leave a smell.
- When you leave the house for a viewing, take all the furry (or feathery or scaly) residents along with you.
- Make a pet hair sweep the last thing you do before you leave the house.