Home Staging – Don’t Forget Your Exterior
Curb appeal can make or break a buyers first impression so don’t make the wrong one. Giving your homes exterior some TLC especially in the winter months is just as important as staging the interior. You wouldn’t want a potential buyer to stay in the car and move on to the next house on their list would you?
Here are some simple tips for helping the exterior of your home sell itself.
- Hang attractive house numbers that are legible from the road.
- Brighten up your porch with fresh paint or stain.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to the front door, preferably red, black, blue, or wood stain, so long as it complements the trim and doesn’t blend, says The Real Estate Staging Association. Steer clear of unconventional colors like purple.
- Buy a new doormat to welcome home buyers.
- Power-wash the house exterior, walkway, steps, driveway, and porch until
- everything sparkles.
- Make sure the locks and doorbell function.
- Make that mailbox look clean and welcoming, or get a new one.
- Plant lots of colorful blooms in attractive pots and planter beds.
- Trim back trees and shrubs from the approach to the front door.
- Whip that yard into shape with fresh sod or new seed
- Store yard equipment and children’s toys out of sight. Use a basket to store shoes to keep your porch looking uncluttered.
- Repair shaky banisters.
- Get a hammock (or bocce ball game or raised fire pit) to show off how fun your yard can be.
- Dress up any imperfect planting area with mulch.
- Make sure entryway lights function and are free of cobwebs and insects.
- Hide trash cans, recycle bins, and garden hoses.
- Don’t forget your outdoor living space. Stage your patio like a second living room, with fashionable furniture, accent pillows, an outdoor rug, and other patio-friendly decor.